Olympus OM vs Fuji X

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ken224
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM vs Fuji X
In reply to Sal Baker, 9 months ago

You do realize that the review you cited is a year old and used old outdated raw conversion software? The excellent raw converters used today didn't exist a year ago. Time to catch up to the times, no?

The review was up do date when I was making my decision. If better converters are available now, well, too bad. I am with m 4/3, and Sony A7 looks more interesting now anyway.

Since you never use raw you should read up on how converters work. You can easily exceed the IQ of jpegs with raw files but you have to adjust settings. Otherwise just use the JPEG files which that same review said are among the best available.

When did I say I never use raw? You should not make assumptions. I almost exclusively use raw. That is why I care about the raw conversion and expect it to yield better results than the OOC jpeg.

What confuses me is why you're concerned about Fuji raw files when you never use them. Sounds like Fuji is perfect for you since the jpegs are stellar.

I do use Fuji raw (for X100) and have no problems with it. However I do plead guilty of not buying XE1 and waiting for another year or so for an expensive new converter to become available. I prefer to rely on the expertise of the reviewers at dpreview (and other internet sites or magazines) to gain information about any potential purchase. This is the main purpose of reviews, is it not? At the time, dpreview could not make raw conversions even close to OOC jpegs (probably the only sensor so far with this trait) and I realized that I have little chance of bettering that. My experiments with downloaded raw files confirmed this.

Sal

In an ideal world Fuji would have provided a complete solution and not relied on Silkypix just to get their customers off their back. In an ideal world you would have read my post more carefully...

ken224's gear list:ken224's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow