Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shivaess
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
DA* 16-50 purchase
7 months ago

I'm looking to plug a gap in my lens lineup. As you can see from the gearlist below I have the 12-24, 50, 70-200. I would like to plug the 24-50 gap and have been looking at my options. I had been looking at the DA 35 macro, however the old version just sold out and I can't quite bring myself to jump almost twice the price for the new HD coatings. The 16-50 is the next option on my list but I'm still very skittish due to the reliability concerns a subset of the community have voiced and my perception that the lens is nearing the end of its lifecycle. I wouldn't be surprised to see a replacement for it in the near-ish future.
So, is the 16-50 still a good purchase at its on-sale price atm? Have people been happy with it on their K-3's? Is there something I'm missing? I am avoiding 3rd party lenses, I'm very happy with my tameron, but the build quality of the pentax gear I've gotten is just the next level. Weather sealing is a desired aspect for the lens, it will probably be on the camera most of the time going forward as the default lens (replacing my 50mm). I do use my camera in the Adirondacks in the winter, so that's a concern. I guess I've just been chasing this around my head for a while now and I'm looking for some outside validation and experiences.

Thanks! and hope everyone had a great thanksgiving (or weekend if you're not celebrating)

Shivaess's gear list:Shivaess's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF)
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow