70D 430ex II bounce under exposure

Started Dec 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bobn4burton Forum Member • Posts: 72
70D 430ex II bounce under exposure

So I've recently upgraded from a T4i to the 70D.  Absolutely LOVE the 70D.  Video focus is amazing...plus all the other cool upgrades!

There is one thing that I'm not as happy with on the 70D.  Not sure if its just my camera, a general 70D thing or if there is some setting that I'm missing.

I have the 430ex II flash and generally tend to bounce the flash off the ceiling when taking pictures of my kids in the house whenever there isn't enough natural light for pictures.  The exposure always came out fine with a direct flash and pretty good with bounced flash on the T4i.  The bounced flash might have been slightly underexposed...but not bad.

When I got the 70D, the direct flash using 430ex II looks great (exposure-wise).  However, whenever I bounce the flash off the ceiling...the pictures are way under-exposed.  Anywhere from 1-2 stops.  I can setup the exact same settings on the T4i and the 70D and take the same picture and the T4i shot will come out with decent exposure (maybe very slightly underexposed) with a bounced flash.  But the exact same shot with the 70D is 1-2 stops under-exposed.

Is there something I'm missing?  Has anyone else experienced this?  I know I can correct for it by dialing in some FEC, but its just that much more of a hassle to always have to change the FEC setting depending on how I'm using the flash (bounced, direct, etc).  With the T4i, the exposure wasn't spot on, but close enough that I didn't have to mess with the FEC at all for 90% of my shots (bounced or direct)...

So far this is the only complaint I really have with the 70D (also think its retarded that you have to enable wifi in two places to turn it on...seems redundant).  Overall I am really loving the camera.

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow