ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Pavek
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,945
Like?
The Sunday BIRD Volume 9, Issue 23 December 1, 2013
Dec 1, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have decided to change the Sunday BIRD’s format. Instructions for Newbies will now be in a ‘sidebar’ reply to this post with my photos in a second reply.

On Turkey Day I was out on the trail set up waiting to photograph a perching White-tailed Kite when it decided to fly. A woman and her dog came along and I held the M-1 on my lap as I pulled back to let them by. The dog was on a loose leash and decided to give my 300m lens a get-acquainted lick – smearing half the lens with thick dog slobber!
Fortunately I had a lens cloth in my pocket so I unscrewed the lens hood and held it between my knees while I tried to deal with the smear. Right then a Northern Harrier approached and the Kite took off after it. I grabbed the unhooded M-1 and tried to track the gyrating birds but failed, couldn’t get a lock on either one. (Couldn’t get the slobber off, either, it took distilled water to dissolve it.)

Note: Last week’s images were misidentified as being a Whimbrel. It was a Long-billed Curlew (Thanks Trevor.)

Cheers and Chirps,

Richard Pavek
SHENmaker@MSN.com
My photo/essay blog is at: www.RichardsBirdBlog.com
Gallery at www.pbase.com/shenmaker

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
EH20New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow