Whats your take on M4/3 lens prices and size?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gonzalikus
Contributing MemberPosts: 787Gear list
Like?
Whats your take on M4/3 lens prices and size?
9 months ago

Hello All,

I am one of those people who made the switch from large FF DSLR to the pretty neat OM-D E-M5. I did it mainly due to the reduced size and as a bonus I thought I would also benefit for more decent prices for fine glass... For the first part well I am convinced I did the right choice (on the body)... but as the bonus and lens size, im not so sure...

Here is my price (on top of my head) comparison and also size:

Nikon 35mm f2.0 = 300 Euros
Oly 17mm f1.8 = 470 Euros
The Oly being almost the same size (although ill say 20% lighter)

Nikon 50mm f1.4 (depending on the version) = 350 Euros
Panasonic 25mm f1.4 = 500 Euros
Size and weigh: Ill say the Pany is 10% lighter and smaller

Nikon 24mm f2.8 = 300 Euros
Oly 12mm f2 = 700 Euros
Oly is faster but not much smaller and considerably pricy.

Nikon 105mm f2.0 = 950 Euros
Oly 75mm f1.8 = 950 Euros
I know the Oly equiv is 150mm but here is more for the sake of price comparison...

Nikon 14-24 f2.8 = 1400 Euros
Pany 7-24 f4 = 950 Euros
Weight there is NO comparison, but the Nikon is f2.8, bigger, weather sealed, and optically outstanding for that matter I would imagine it should be double the price or more than the Pany.

Then there lenses which sadly are in the high price (but are much smaller than their FF counterparts) like the Pany 12-35 f2.8selling for 980 Euros, for that price you are close to the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 for 1200 Euros (why such little difference for a lens half the size and not optically better?)

Yes there are lenses like the brilliant 45mm f1.8 which costs less and is MUCH smaller than the Nikon 85mm f1.8 equivalent, this is the type of comparison I would like to see in all cases... i am not in lens design, but there must be a reason.

Don't get me wrong, i am VERY happy with the change and i would do it again, and to be honest my Nikon gear is now collecting dust, I still have my Nikon D700 + 50mm 1.4, 35-70 F2.8, 17-35 f2.8, 35mm f2, Sigma 150mm Marcro, and other goodies, I sold the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 although i loved the image quality the weight for me was a NOGO... I kept all the other Lenses and the D700 because I feel some time I can miss it, Oh!, i forgot to mention: I am not a pro.  Now i have the E-M5, Pany 7-14, 17 f1.8, 45mm f1.8, and soon the 75mm f1.8...

To summarise, I don't know why m4/3 lens manufacturers cannot reduce further the sizes (like the 45mm f1.8) and more intriguing the price... Also keep in mind I am no expert in commercial/marketing matters... my field of expertise are far away from that world... what do you guys think?

-- hide signature --

Gonzalo

gonzalikus's gear list:gonzalikus's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SvSNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow