Started Nov 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,547Gear list
Like?
Lest we forget: slide film.
Nov 30, 2013

I'm just at the beginning of a project to scan a lot of slides from the 70s (and later - which I haven't looked at yet). The batch I'm currently doing I shot in the mid 70s in Tasmania using a Zenith SLR with a standard lens - precise models long forgotten. I do remember that the camera managed to combine remarkable robustness (it used to sit on the back of my trail bike's rack in the standard leather case getting pounded and muddied) with unpredictable unreliability: on reflection these facts may be connected.

Many of the slides I'm scanning are much the worse for wear and neglect but even the best of them are a complete joke in terms of technical quality when compared with even today's cheapest, simplest, digital camera. Of course at the time I shot these slides I regarded the camera as little more than a means of recording my wandering. In retrospect it's amazing how many things I should have shot that I just didn't bother with - probably on the youthful assumption that everything and everyone will always be around to photograph.

I'm using a basic Plustek scanner and Silverfast software. Installation of the related applications and drivers was a throwback to somewhere around the time I was using Win NT 3.5, but I guess scanning software is an inexorably diminishing market. The Silverfast software is a bit of a puzzle. In some ways it's quite good but has some glaringly hostile characteristics that you could easily regard as bugs were it not for the fact that it's relatively obvious how to work around them. A slow process though.

Roy

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow