Forum ProPosts: 18,631Gear list
Like?
Very little change needed.
In reply to mclaudio, Nov 30, 2013

mclaudio wrote:

Dear David,

many thanks for your comments...

<....>

I just try to do my best during my free time (that actually I mainly use to go out and walk), and I tried hard in developing this simple website, a website that does not distract from photos. I know that there are problems... now I also know that I totally failed, my score is 0/10.

This makes me so sad... this is why we can't have nice things, because someone who tries is told they have "failed" just because they tried something different. You have not failed! You have a kernel of brilliance in your work.

I have been designing mobile applications for years and your site does not "fail" except by outdated notions of design. It meshes quite well with modern designs that do not have as much interface UI, but are still quite usable.

[A more technical note. I used a jquery plugin, the one that, for me, has the smoother scrolling (I tested a lot of them). At the beginning I put the two arrows, but I did not like them. Given your suggestion I will reconsider this choice, but I'm not sure I will change my mind. Another interesting suggestion is the one of visualizing the navigation instructions for few seconds. I started with an horizontal scrolling but the vertical one is much smoother when shades are present, I don't know why. I also tried to allow to use left/right arrows (the usual ones) to scroll up/down but without success. If you are able to help me in solving this problem, or you know a better jquery plugin this would be very useful. Said that, I think that this plugin is not bad. It downloads all the images in the memory, it allows to move quickly by using the mouse wheel or the touch pad, and, honestly, I really prefer not to click when navigating.]

I don't know if you saw my response but all you need to do to help the user is to add some javascript that initially scrolls down after a few seconds, so the user gets the idea going down does something (stop the auto-scrolling when they scroll or use arrow keys). There are a lot of sites these days that "activate" when scrolled down, so even a hint that you can do that will make people say OH!

You could also just use the technique that Apple used on the Mac Pro page:

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Small arrow at the bottom letting you know to scroll, and it also doubles as something that would get them to try the arrow keys. It also has small dots at the side to let you know your progress, though those might be too much.  You could again remove the indicator when the user actually scrolls. Even that seems like too much though, I really like your gallery without clutter and I think the auto-scrolling would give that effect.

BTW one of the things I loved about your gallery was the speed and fluidity of it. That's why I am so against adding too many things to it because it works exactly as I would hope a web gallery would at the core of things.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow