Steve Huff review A7/R, say they will take over the world!

Started Nov 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
LoneReaction
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff review A7/R, say they will take over the world!
In reply to bluevellet, Nov 30, 2013

bluevellet wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

I'm thinking about getting the A7, but this review has me worried. If someone who does mostly manual focusing with legacy glass is calling a camera slow then this doesn't sound good. What does he mean by slow? Slow starting up? Something else? I can't really figure out what he is trying to say.

The DPReview staff touched on the slow issues before. The camera can take 3 seconds to start, even longer in situations like, for example, turning it off and on quickly. Definitely not a camera for "if-you-blink-you'll-miss-it" moments.

It takes a while sometimes if you turn it off for a second then turn it on again. Other than that, it is fast enough.

I just used the stopwatch on my phone with my left hand, and with my right hand I turned on the camera, and took a photo (manual focus). Once I heard the shutter I stopped the stopwatch. This took exactly 1.01 seconds.

If anything, I think the camera starts to really "shut down" about a second after you turn it off. And it takes a few seconds to shut down. If you flick the switch on and off in a split second, it does not shut down and just turns back on. So I would say that the camera takes a while to shutdown, but starts up really quickly.

-- hide signature --
 LoneReaction's gear list:LoneReaction's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow