Problem with RX100 images stabilization

Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with RX100 images stabilization
In reply to alfpang, Nov 30, 2013

alfpang wrote:

I've found the same issues shooting w the RX100 after being accustomed to the much more dependable handheld IS on my Canon S95, at 1/30 and even 1/20 or 1/15.

I imagine however that the much bigger sensor on the RX-100 means that camera shake or subject movement is amplified esp on closeups or when repositioning the camera after focus-locking on a particularly point. I've experienced similar on my DSLR. The image from the RX100 is nevertheless more forgiving zoomed out to sizes similar to what other cameras w smaller sensors produce.

In the meantime I've learnt to use shutter priority or simply be a little more steady at 1/30. I wish Sony would allow Auto ISO in M mode though -- it would allow us to set both a decent handheld speed and aperture while tweaking ISO to compensate for light.

This is an old thread, but I'm bumping it up rather than start another on the same topic.

I think the general consensus is that RX100's IS works but not to the same degree as S95. (I have a Canon S95 and its IS is superb.)  Does RX100II have better IS, or is it the same as RX100?  I use pocketable P&S as social camera, which takes place often in dim light, making IS very crucial. The shaky IS (no pun intended) of RX100 would be a significant shortcoming from my perspective.

New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow