ISOless sensors, read noise and photography - many questions!

Started Oct 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,817Gear list
Like?
Re: @WilbaW
In reply to boardsy, Nov 30, 2013

boardsy wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

To recap, in the field when you need a photo above ISO 800, set the camera to an ISO at least 1 and perhaps 2 stops lower than what you think is indicated. Viewfinder will still be usable, and you can fix the ISO in raw post-processing.

Make sure you try this idea before you buy it. A few years ago I did that experiment and found that it was possible to "fix" such a shot using esoteric software and elaborate methods, and while the noise was equivalent the colour in the shadows was never quite as good as the shot with the ISO that gave normal/desirable image brightness. In my case there was no pay-off to justify doing more work to get an inferior result.

I think you missed Russell's point WilbaW - it's not a vague theory that doesn't work in practice,

Nothing I've said suggests otherwise.

and your years-old experience may not be relevant now:

For a modern ISO-less sensor (above a certain given ISO, e.g. 800 for the NEX C3) there is no considerable pay-off to justify doing more work simple exp. compensation slider push in any decent RAW converter to get an inferior result a superior result.

I thought his point was - "when you need a photo above ISO 800, set the camera to an ISO at least 1 perhaps 2 stops lower". He stated it without qualification, so he meant it for every camera in every situation, regardless of the age or nature of the camera or the converter used, but it's not without penalty for my camera and my needs. The colour problems were apparent with every one of the five or six converters used, which tells me it's not fundamentally a conversion problem, it's a data problem.

You're on much safer ground qualifying that advice and recommending it only for "a modern ISO-less sensor", but my original advice stands - the reader should test this principle with their own camera before they adopt it (as you should with all photographic advice!), even if their sensor is ISO-less above a certain point (like mine).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BAM!New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow