Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,622Gear list
Like?
Re: On Sharpness, ISO and Shutter Speed
In reply to Ken Strain, 8 months ago

Ken Strain wrote:

These data are puzzling, two features disturb me most:

The spread between H and V gets to about 20% in several of the plots, including the points for the EM5 at 1/4000s.

Yes. That is the EM5 at ISO 6400, where it is very, very noisy - the noisiest of the sample by a fair margin. I mentioned in the other thread that I believe the spread there is due to the data being too noisy for a reliable MTF50 reading. I included it for completeness in case someone saw something else in it, but otherwise I would be tempeted to ignore it as being outside of usable range. I should experiment a bit with noisy images to see if that is indeed the case.

The EM1 plot is the only one that looks somewhat like I would expect if shutter shock were the main cause of the spread, but even here it appears that something else breaks the H-V symmetry with the opposite sign (such that there is roughly 6% discrepancy between the averaged H and V scopes of the 3 fastest speeds)

Yes, I also wonder about that switch. The other camera that shows it is the A7r (but not the A7). Same problem?

I would be very interested to see a series of properly taken images form the EM1 and A7r at these same apertures with shutter speeds from a couple of seconds to 1/4000th every 1/2 stop or so to see whether I could pinpoint the issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow