New gallery "dark pressure"

Started Nov 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,642Gear list
Like?
Clutter is wrong too
In reply to DMillier, Nov 29, 2013

DMillier wrote:

The navigation on your site is perhaps the most unintuitive I've seen for many a year. It's a nightmare.

As a professional web usability tester, you core 0/10 for that.

What's wrong with simple links that say "Previous", "Next"? You're in big trouble if you have to provide textural help of of how to move from image to image! It's a shame because you are putting a barrier between the user and your work that means many people won't bother to try and work it out and you'll be the person who loses out.

We all figured it out though.

Personally all of the gallery extras like next/back buttons add clutter, and he's going for a stark look where anything detracts.

Instead of controls that clutter up the thing, I would instead suggest a default scrolling action that happens after a few seconds so you get the idea you can go down...  people would easily figure it out from that.

Keep it simple,keep it obvious, stick with tried and tested solutions.Re-inventing navigation priciples for one site doesn't work.

If no-one tries anything new, we will never advance as a species.  Personally I like his gallery better than just about any other web gallery I've ever come across.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow