On Sharpness, ISO and Shutter Speed

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
Re: On Sharpness, ISO and Shutter Speed
In reply to Anders W, 10 months ago

Anders W wrote:

External damping does help. Put the camera on a heavy and perfectly rigid surface (like for example a stone floor) and you won't see any sign of shutter shock even with lenses far more sensitive to the problem than a short tele. I have tried it with my Oly E-M5 and Pany 100-300 at 300 mm (600 mm EFL) and see no problem at all under those conditions. When shooting the same combo from a reasonably sturdy tripod, however, I can't get blur-free images in the critical range of shutter speeds (about 1/25 to 1/250 with the peak about 1/100 or slightly higher).

Interesting. I'm guessing the camera isn't actually attached to the stone floor (as it would be for a tripod), so I wouldn't think it would provide much internal damping. Perhaps the vibrations really are causing whole-camera movement, rather than my original notion of sensor-only movement.

Your info opens up a good deal of speculation on my part; would the problem be minimized by hand-gripping the tripod and camera (with consequent damping), and/or by leaving the IBIS on even when using a tripod?

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow