On Sharpness, ISO and Shutter Speed

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
Contributing MemberPosts: 660Gear list
Like?
Re: On Sharpness, ISO and Shutter Speed
In reply to Steen Bay, 5 months ago

Steen Bay wrote:

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Wondering why the D800 resolution (or 'sharpness') is so relatively low (about the same as the 24mp A7)?

Seeing this data raises a number of questions in my mind; unfortunately I lack the technical background to even begin to answer them. I will be watching what you gentlemen and the other experts discover with great interest. There may be implications for everyone in this.

Another mFT camera with a serious shutter shock issue (I assume) in the new comparison tool is the Panasonic G6. Seems to be even worse than on the E-M1. Could probably have been avoided if DPR had used the optional electronic shutter on G6. Olympus E-P5 and E-PL5 are affected too, but it doesn't seem to be a problem on the (also mirror less) Fuji X-E2 and X-Pro1. Can't spot any problems on Canon and Nikon DSLRs, except maybe a bit with the D5300.

One thing that concerns me; if this is shutter shock vibrating the sensor, external damping (heavier tripod, draping the camera body on the tripod with weights, etc.) may not be of much help.

I do wonder; how could high-end camera manufacturers, with vast resources for testing, possibly miss an engineering problem like this with a potential for degrading the value of their premium products?

More data! 

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM DxO Optics Pro Standard Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow