ISOless sensors, read noise and photography - many questions!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,197Gear list
Like?
@WilbaW
In reply to WilbaW, 10 months ago

WilbaW wrote:

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

To recap, in the field when you need a photo above ISO 800, set the camera to an ISO at least 1 and perhaps 2 stops lower than what you think is indicated. Viewfinder will still be usable, and you can fix the ISO in raw post-processing.

Make sure you try this idea before you buy it. A few years ago I did that experiment and found that it was possible to "fix" such a shot using esoteric software and elaborate methods, and while the noise was equivalent the colour in the shadows was never quite as good as the shot with the ISO that gave normal/desirable image brightness. In my case there was no pay-off to justify doing more work to get an inferior result.

I think you missed Russell's point WilbaW - it's not a vague theory that doesn't work in practice, and your years-old experience may not be relevant now:

For a modern ISO-less sensor (above a certain given ISO, e.g. 800 for the NEX C3) there is  no considerable pay-off to justify doing more work simple exp. compensation slider push in any decent RAW converter to get an inferior result a superior result.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BAM!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow