Does Anyone use checklists?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,127
Like?
Re: Does Anyone use checklists?
In reply to phazelag, 5 months ago

Yes, I use checklists. All the time. Either written, or mental.

When preparing for a job, I almost always make a list (or have one). It could be equipment I need, props, asssitance, pricing (what di I need to give a price).

It could be a list of poses. (As ideas to try something new)

Then, when shooting, I have a mental list.

1. Choose your subject with your heart (unless someone else tells you what to photograph)

2. Turn of heart, and activate he creative part of the brain to find an interesting approach. Lightsource (natural/articicial/mix), fill flash?, Direction of light, pov, ideas for story/props

3. Turn off heart and creative part, and activate logical part of brain. From now, everything is geometry (composition) and craft.

- define the main subject - both so it is clear what it is, and that it stands out from the background (so its shape is uninterupted).

- consider where to place the main subject. Consider composition rules, and how to break them.

- take advantage of supporting elements. Brain loves repetitions in color and shape.

- force the eye to look for distractions. Everything that do not add to the picture is a distraction, and needs to be elliminated. Use your feet, bend your kneeds, cdifferent focal length, limb a ladder, use a chainsaw, scissors to avoid the objects. If they cannot be removed, try to use focus and lighting to reduce the distraction. Before this is second nature, place camera on a tripod, as many find it is easier to both compose and look for distractions when the hands are free :-).

- make sure lighting and WB  is pleasant

- make sure focus is right. To me focus is a compositional tool, used to empasize objects. Focus placement and DOF.

- make sure exposure is right. Exposure is also about composition, as it can be used to empasize objects (with lighting, filters, gobos and such)

It goes with any type of photography I do. I have taken so many hundred of thousand shots, so I am pretty familiar with settings, but I see the need for a settings checklist for my D800E, especially because its easy to forget to restore settings after experimentation.

I have a job tomorrow, and are working on various checklists.

phazelag wrote:

Being a former Pilot I learned the value of following a checklist before and after and sometimes during a flight.  In almost every case of damaging an aircraft near take off or landing it was someone not following the checklist.  Usually that was a senior guy who got comfortable.

I think it should be required for surgeons as well.

I have been toying with making a Different Checklist for different types of Photography.  One for Landscapes, Events, Portraits, Studio, Street, and others.

I have considered laminating small or even tiny cards and attaching them to something like my camera strap, case, case strap loop, or keeping them in my wallet.

Usually when I put work into a shot, the only thing that prevents it from being better, is forgetting some fundamental or a setting I usually use in a different way.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow