Why Panny lenses don't work so well on Oly bodies...

Started Nov 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lester11
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
Why Panny lenses don't work so well on Oly bodies...
Nov 29, 2013

I ran a Panny stable for a while, G1, G2, G3, GH1, GH2, and a full kit bag of their lenses. Eventually (via the Pentax K5 -- needed weather-sealing!) I got back to mFT with Oly, running the E-PL1, E-PL3, and now E-M5.

I noticed something I couldn't really understand -- the images from the E-M5 with Panny lenses weren't that wonderful. Good, sure, but kinda "Yeah, whatever...". So I sold the Panny lenses and bought into Oly lenses. Much better, and it seemed to me that, despite their claims, the Panny mFT and the Oly mFT lines didn't really like working with each other. People talked about CA being corrected in-body in one system but not in the other but that wasn't what I thought I was seeing, but no matter, and didn't give it too much further thought.

Oh, there was one exception. The Panny Leica 25/1.4 continued to give me stunning snaps, no matter what the body.

Recently I've got involved in the great shutter shock debate, and it is pretty clear to me that the floating sensor in the IBIS Oly bodies allows the shock from the shutter to disrupt the image. The electronic control algorithm for floating the sensor fails to manage the shutter shock (regardless of whether IBIS is on or off).

Then I began to see reports of shutter shock on Panny bodies. Wait, the Panny sensor is fixed, what could be going on here? But it is the floating lens element in the OIS Panny lens that allows the shock from the shutter to disrupt the image. The electronic control algorithm for floating the lens element fails to manage the shutter shock (regardless of whether OIS is on or off).

The light turned on! Look, when you put an OIS Panny lens on an IBIS Oly body, you now have *two* things floating in the system which can be disrupted by the shock of the shutter... And that's why the non-OIS Panny Leica continues to work fine on my E-M5, but all my OIS Panny lenses had to go.

If you've got this far, I would really like to hear from folks (if any!) who are shooting *Oly lenses* on *(non-IBIS) Panny bodies*, as well as from folks who are shooting OIS Panny lenses on IBIS Oly bodies -- how is this working out for you? Did you find what I found, it is the OIS Panny lenses which don't work as well on Oly, and the non-OIS lenses are fine?

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow