Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
My first day with the Df
9 months ago

Got my Black Df kit today, haven't had much time to explore yet but there are a few weird things that I've noticed.

First of all the VF was totally blurry without battery (before I could put the battery in for the first time while it's being charged). It didn't matter where or how I focus, it just wouldn't snap into focus using the ring on lenses. I even tried other lenses, same thing. I thought it was DOA until I put the battery in, then images in VF started to appear sharp when focus in achieved. Weird.

Second, to all those "previewers" who claim Df has a better VF than D800, it's total BS. It's visibly darker and uses the same green dot old-fashioned "tech". That's why Nikon stays silent about its VF or MF throughout the pre-sale period, nothing to celebrate here.

Most importantly, Df's VF looks smaller than the D800 VF, so I wonder there's any misrepresentation of the magnification factor?! I don't know it's this is just a perception thing, affected by Df's VF which has a smaller window "opening" than the D800. It's almost like there is a 16x9 matte box placed between the eyecup and the screen, which is totally different than the large VF window opening on the D800.

Other than the above, handling feels good. Totally agree with those previewers, this Df is designed for primes due to smaller grip. Anything larger/longer than 85mm will probably get uncomfortable to hold, especially those big primes. But then if you're not hand-holding for hours, any lens would work.

Will post more impressions when I actually go out for a shoot later!

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon Df
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow