What is your biggest disappointment about GM1?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,024Gear list
Like?
Re: What is your biggest disappointment about GM1?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 10 months ago

Dr_Jon wrote:

I debated changing my RX100 for one, but decided not to as...

(1) No 1080/50p video (I suspect this has much more to do with Panasonic's processor being higher power than Sony's, rather than the sensor size difference).

(2) The RX100 has less moire (in video) than my GH3 (even when shot really flat), so is a handy alternative for some situations. (I'm pretty confident Sony are using all the pixels, Panasonic certainly aren't.)

(3) No EVF, that's the obvious step-up from the RX100.

(4) Slow GM1 mechanical shutter - but how good/bad is this? I don't know. As the flash-sync is very poor it suggests it will be bad for anything moving. (Meaning the read-out time is slow, no good having 1/16000 shutter speed if the bottom of the sensor does that 1/50 sec, or whatever, after the top.)

(5) RX100 lens is very sharp, plus fast at the wide end (even allowing for m43 sensor size it's still faster than the GM1 kit lens).

(6) RX100 is shirt-pocketable.

(7) RX100 AF is lightning-fast, however good the GM1 AF is it won't be usably better in real-world situations.

The GM1 does look very cool though, but not a RX100-beater...

As an RX100 owner I agree with some of what you mention, although I don't find moire an issue with my GH3.

The lens on the RX100 needs to be stopped down at the wide end before it is sharp (I always shoot at f4.5 outdoors).  Indoors at f1.8 the lens is very soft.  A fast m43 lens would be much sharper in low light along with having less noise in the image.

The AF on the RX100 is very good outdoors but slows down indoors.  Low light AF speed and accuracy is one area where Panasonic is leading everyone.

But like you I don't want to give up 1080p60 and I enjoy the size of this fixed lens camera.  If the GM2 would introduce 1080p60 and if the 30mm f1.7 were sharp wide open with faster/more accurate AF then I will reconsider, although by then I would be comparing with RX200. 

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow