Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,582Gear list
Like?
Panny 14-140 f/3.5 5.6 Lens, Shutter Shock, Yeas and Nays, I'm Confused
11 months ago

I'm trying to separate the pepper from the fly specks, and end up with a go no-go decision on the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5 - 5.6 lens.  So, please bear with me.  Here's the deal:

In a separate post, I postulated that the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5 - 5.6 lens might be a replacement for the Olympus 14-42 short zoom and 40-150 zooms I currently have, for my Olympus OM-D E-M5.  This was based on my interpretation of published specifications, and several pretty positive reviews of the lens.  Here's a link to that thread:

Panasonic 14-140 Instead of 14-42 and 50-150 Link

The responses to my original post were mixed.  A couple of folks had issues with the lens; a couple thought it was wonderful.  And then our favorite topic of discussion, Shutter Shock, came up.  Some people had issues with shutter shock and that lens (apparently more so than other lenses); others did not.  The opinions came from personal experience and other published reviews

So, at this point there are data points and opinions, but not what I would call a clear consensus or general agreement one way or the other.  In an effort to bring closure to this discussion, I respectfully  pose the following questions to people who actually have (or have owned) the Panny 14-140 f/3.5 - 5.6 lens (NOT its predecessor, I don't care about that lens).  In particular, I'd be interested in hearing from folks who have used the new 14-140 on an E-M5 or E-M1.  The questions are:

-Overall, are you happy with the lens?

-Do you find shutter shock to be a big problem, or something you can work around?

-Is the IQ at least as good as your current 14-42 kit lens, and 40-150 lens (assuming you had one or the other of these lenses)?

-Would you buy it again, knowing what you know now?

-If you could purchase it for $140 off list price ($559 as opposed to $699), would that influence your decision?  (Panasonic Black Friday Sale plus additional EPP discount)

I guess what I'm really after is feedback from people who have actually owned / used the lens, in varying conditions.

Thanks to anyone who is kind enough to reply to this thread.  I'm sure that others who are also considering the lens will appreciate your responses as well.

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow