Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 955Gear list
Like?
FZ200 Figure Skating #3
10 months ago

I went to another big international figure skating competition, the weekend before last...

Enjoyed it greatly, although the venue this time was not so good for photography - it was not as well lit, so I needed 1-2 stops higher ISO to get my preferred shutter speeds (ie. between 1/125th and 1/200th to get some pleasing motion blur on the skaters' feet, hands etc).

The view was not that good, even from the front row, which was 3-4 metres back from the rink, and about 3m above it... and they don't even sell tickets for the seats on the judges side, to the general public (and skaters' choreography is mostly aimed at the judges).

Still, I came home with some nice results... well, actually a very large number of them, more than I can shake a stick at! And here's a random selection of them. They're all taken at 1/160th and f2.8, with ISO ranging from ISO320 to ISO800:

Panasonic FZ200, ISO500

Panasonic FZ200, ISO500

Panasonic FZ200, ISO250

Panasonic FZ200, ISO320

Panasonic FZ200, ISO800

Panasonic FZ200, ISO400

Panasonic FZ200, ISO320

Panasonic FZ200, ISO800, post-competition exhibition gala under spotlights

Panasonic FZ200, ISO800, post-competition exhibition gala under spotlights

I used Shutter Priority mode, Auto ISO, Stabilizer OFF, single-area AF with default size, centre-weighted metering, 5.5 bursts (not 5.5[AF] bursts), JPG-only. For the competitions I used Custom WB set at rink-side using a DGK reference card, but for the gala I just used "Cloudy" (futile to try and set a "proper" WB with all those flashing coloured lights and spotlights).

Equivelent focal lengths of the above photos ranged from about 120mm to about 285mm.

I gave i.Iso a go this time. I am sorry to report that it was truly useless. It seemed way too slow to react, and even photographing people in their seats... it wouldn't detect the motion of their heads as they chatted to each other, and it would choose 1/8th or slower and base ISO... with very poor results...

Hatstand's gear list:Hatstand's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow