Help on first DSLR

Started Nov 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pragya9 New Member • Posts: 5
Help on first DSLR

Hi,

I currently have access to Nikon P500 and I really like it as a walk around camera. I usually shoot landscapes and portraits when I travel and also like to take some macro shots. However, I'll soon be shooting newborn photographs (mine) and thought it might be a good time to upgrade to a DSLR.

My budget is about 600 - 700 $ for camera body as well as glass. I researched a bit on DSLRs and MILC and came up with 2 options

1. Stick to Nikon P500 for now, and wait a few years for better MILC units

or

2. Get a DSLR now

In the second option, I intend to get DSLR with kit lens and buy a 50 mm f/1.8 prime

a. I'm getting an offer for Canon 600D with 18-55 mm and 55 - 200 mm kit lenses for about 600 $ and I can spend another 100$ on the prime

or

b. I can go with Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm kit lens and get a prime for nikon (I haven't researched Nikon prices that much)

Which one 1 or 2, seems to be a better option, and if going with a DSLR, which one (a or b) seems better?

I should specify that I'm a hobbyist and quite unlikely to upgrade to more expensive glass. At least, that's what I think for now. I might think about some close up lenses or extension tubes later, but that's about all the gear I'm looking to get.

Thanks for help!!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow