ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pragya9
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Help on first DSLR
11 months ago

Hi,

I currently have access to Nikon P500 and I really like it as a walk around camera. I usually shoot landscapes and portraits when I travel and also like to take some macro shots. However, I'll soon be shooting newborn photographs (mine) and thought it might be a good time to upgrade to a DSLR.

My budget is about 600 - 700 $ for camera body as well as glass. I researched a bit on DSLRs and MILC and came up with 2 options

1. Stick to Nikon P500 for now, and wait a few years for better MILC units

or

2. Get a DSLR now

In the second option, I intend to get DSLR with kit lens and buy a 50 mm f/1.8 prime

a. I'm getting an offer for Canon 600D with 18-55 mm and 55 - 200 mm kit lenses for about 600 $ and I can spend another 100$ on the prime

or

b. I can go with Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm kit lens and get a prime for nikon (I haven't researched Nikon prices that much)

Which one 1 or 2, seems to be a better option, and if going with a DSLR, which one (a or b) seems better?

I should specify that I'm a hobbyist and quite unlikely to upgrade to more expensive glass. At least, that's what I think for now. I might think about some close up lenses or extension tubes later, but that's about all the gear I'm looking to get.

Thanks for help!!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow