GX7 : is it possible to permanently switch the viewfinder on ?

Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 : is it possible to permanently switch the viewfinder on ?
In reply to David92, Nov 27, 2013

David92 wrote:

Thanks Paul,

BolleDuc wrote:

David92 wrote:

Hi

With my "old" G1, it is possible to set the eye sensor in a way that the viewfinder is permanently "on".

So far I didn"t manage to have the same behaviour with my GX7. The EVF seems to light only when my eye is close. It is not a big deal, but there is a small latency which I would prefer to avoid (if possible).

Any ideas ?

Kind regards,

David

David,

You're right, I noticed that but didn't really dwell on it, nor on a solution to make it go away. And I favour designating the switch to flip back & forth between the LCD & the EVF so the EVF is in play sometimes.

the G1 design seems perfect to me as I can choose the behavior of the cam. Maybe I am already to old school to rely on an eye sensor

My camera's not with me so I can't try this out yet but would a little strip of tape over the sensor work? It seems like it's responsive to my hand, jacket, etc. so is it a simple proximity sensor? Light? No clue!

I will give it a try but this is not ideal as there might be some situations where I would use the sensor ...

But now I'm curious about this myself, there are occasions where this would be a better mousetrap if it were "locked" on.

English is not my native langage, I am not sure to get the "mousetrap" thing ?

Paul

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

David,

It looks like anything that covers the sensor will work. I agree that it is not a very good solution if you want to switch back & forth often, & during the same shooting session, but a small sticker or piece of tape is a valid way to test if you would like it On, or Off, most of the time. Once you figure that out, you can then decide how much "engineering" effort you want to put into an improved longer term solution. For me, I think I will keep some small labels (craft store) in my camera bag & just stick one on when I need the EVF to be on for that particular occasion. One other point: I seem to recall that EVFs are more power draining than the LCD panels so it may not be good for the life of the battery to have the EVF on all the time. I'm really not sure if this is the case with the GX7 but it might be worth carrying an extra battery until you find out.

Let me know if you discover or develop a better way & if you find any difference in the battery life.

Paul

PS - A better mousetrap = A better way of doing things, an improved design, a better tool.
I believe this expression is based on the irony that nobody really has come up with a better mousetrap since it was first invented so of course, in English, we would use that for the opposite meaning in casual speech!

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow