Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stephen Barrett
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
Slanted Line Tests on the Canon SX30
9 months ago

I haven't been around the forum much for the last couple of months - not much picture-taking either.  The reason is that I was overcome by a mania for camera testing.  I have just posted an article about it on DPReview:

Slanted Line Tests on the Canon SX30

Summary: Slanted line tests (as opposed to slanted edge tests) were performed on the Canon SX30. The tests were used to produce plots of the Modulation Transfer Function (MTF) as a function of spatial frequency. The measurements are compared with a simple model of the lens and sensor.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5460643440/slanted-line-tests-on-the-canon-sx30

Slanted Edge Testing is common on SLRs but seems to be rare on bridge cameras.  I couldn't find any on-line.  My tests started out as an investigation of resolution, but they turned out to be more about halos and loss of contrast.  These are not just theoretical concerns but problems that can be real obstacles to taking the best possible pictures.  I suspect that a main cause may be lens aberrations, but the evidence is circumstantial.  The Appendix is about modelling and it touches on some differences between SLRs and bridge cameras.  Comments and criticism are welcome.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow