Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
Testing both A7 & A7R, sad to agree with dpreview's findings
Nov 26, 2013

Having trouble with the A7 focus and read Dpreview first look that they couldn't get sharp shots from A7 I was getting worried.

So I tracked down A7R as well in order to test these basic things before leaving for my travel, using the same 35mm F2.8 lens:

- focus - A7R is much more accurate, I get 9/10 sharp shots in low light. I think A7 has serious problem with this as stated in the first look.    (A7 feels a little faster but many blurred shots, very few in perfect focus)

- image quality - again just as mentioned in Dpreview, A7R's JPGs and bokeh are much nicer and smooth looking, A7 has a digital look which is distracting, and I do get that A7 nasty paintbrush bokeh mentioned as well.

Too bad

- shutter - A7R is loud and SLOW, A7 is still little loud but feels faster and more confident

I didn't believe that two models of almost same sensor could perform much different, even after reading the preview I still don't want to believe it, but testing it myself, despite not liking the shutter noise and don't need 36mpx, I'd have to agree with Dpreview so I'm now keeping the A7R and will be sending the A7 back.

charging side by side in my digital dark room

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow