GH3 vs GX7: Differences?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
MrWalrusGumboot
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 vs GX7: Differences?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 9 months ago

Hi,

I own both cameras so hopefully can help.

Firstly the GH3 doesn't haven't peaking in any mode, so if that's a requirement for you, that helps narrow things down. The GX7's peaking is superb, 3 different colour choices per sensitivity level, works in video and stills and in the viewfinder, even with picture in picture mode. Let's not forget too that the GX7 will stabilize your manual lenses too.

In terms of video differences, in AVCHD their video capabilities are virtually identical, picture-wise (keep in mind the GX7 doesn't have a mic input or headphone output). But the GX7's video is still outstanding. GH3 also offers h.264 codec in mov at 72mbps and 50mbps, I think you know if you need that bitrate, if you don't know, you probably don't need it.

Customisability, they rate about the same. Both offer tons of control and physical buttons. GX7 adds something I really like, Touch AE, kinda like spot metering I guess but without the hassle of changing your metering mode in-definitely.

GH3 is weather sealed mith mg body. GX7 has mg body but no weather sealing. I've used GH3 is snow conditions to -12 Celsius for two hours shooting star trails and no issues. Haven't tried the GX7 is really trying conditions yet, but I think it'll do okay.

Battery life, in video I can get around 4 hours on one battery from my GH3 which is astounding, the GX7 about half of that. I can generally get a solid day shooting stills on the GX7 before needing the spare.

Viewfinder, GX7 hands down, also I love and use the tilting all the time.

LCD, close call, the GX7 looks better, but the GH3 is fully articulated which is handy.

Both have silent mode, however I think the side affects are more noticeable on the GH3. Silent mode is incredibly useful for me,

Both have wifi, but the GX7 allows you to see your live view during video shooting, where the GH3 doesn't. The wifi is fantastic and a feature I use very regularly. It's also made others happy that I can share shots straight away, even on proper jobs.

Image quality, pretty close, I perceive my GX7 shots to be a little sharper but haven't done a thorough comparison.

To me, the GX7 is the funner camera to shoot with, I own one of these bags http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-bowery.html and keep it with a 12mm Oly, 25mm panny, 45mm Oly, 35-100mm panny and it's an absolute joy.

I still enjoy my GH3, and will use it on certain video applications or for stills where the battery grips helps me out etc. otherwise it's GX7 all the way.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

Let the light guide you...

MrWalrusGumboot's gear list:MrWalrusGumboot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow