Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?
Using the extra optical zoom on the FZ200
5 months ago

In order to get more zoom from the FZ200 for birding, I have long resorted to using the extra optical zoom feature. By selecting the 5mp picture size it gives me 37.5x, or 937.5 35mm equivalent. Sometimes that isn't enough either. Today, for the first time I decided (after having the camera for over 12 months) to try setting the picture size to 3mp, which gives me 46.9x, or 1172.5mm in 35mm terms. Here is a comparison. Considering the settings, I thought both images were pretty good, although you can't really enlarge the 3mp image much without losing definition. The same thing pretty much applies to the 5mp image as well. You could argue (accurately) that by setting the camera to 12mp and cropping will give you just a good a result, however doing it this way really allows you to see what you are getting and whether its in focus.

White Fronted Chat. The  3mp image is on the right.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow