Soft highlight + shadow VS DR 200 400?

Started Nov 25, 2013 | Questions thread
CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,833
Like?
Re: Soft highlight + shadow VS DR 200 400?
In reply to cantanima, Nov 25, 2013

cantanima wrote:

My interpretation of "soft" is not "more detail", but "greater dynamic range in the JPG", "more color retained in JPG", or "smoother tone curve," something to that effect. In fact, I tend to use them with DR 200, 400, etc. to obtain a more pleasing JPG...

I might not be describing the effect correctly, having discovered it on my own, & finding the effect pleasing in certain situations. In all the talk about sizes & DR, I don't recall anyone talking about this (recently). Well, except myself in one thread, but no one seemed to pay attention then.

Was this on the Finepix forum or the Fuji X forum? I searched for posts about this, but only went a few yeas back, and might not have used the correct terms, so I missed yours.

The XF1 manual describes the settings (highlight tone and shadow tone) on page 106, but gives no useful information about them. Guess I will have to buy this camera and try it, especially because it comes in red!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow