Soft highlight + shadow VS DR 200 400?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501
Like?
Re: Soft highlight + shadow VS DR 200 400?
In reply to CAcreeks, 8 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

Has anyone investigated the cameras (X10, X10, XF1, XS1, HSnn) that have a setting for highlight and shadow treatment (soft means more detail) to see how well it works compared to DR 200 + 400?

The direct answer is no; I have not taken the care to take test shots to see the effect. However, my default menu settings for both Highlight Tone and Shadow Tone are "M-Soft." I am not certain that "Soft" means more detail -- where did you get that information? The XF1 manual (page 106 paper, page 120 .pdf) gives no clue as to what adjustment of Highlight Tone and Shadow Tone do; the settings are just there, like the close-the-door buttons on the panels of elevators in office buildings, which I always have suspected to be unconnected to anything other than the egos of the people who push them.

I was just reading the X-M1 review and it seems that soft highlight and shadow settings do not increase ISO, as does the DR setting.

Which review was that, this page on DPReview, or some other?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow