Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442Gear list
Like?
The best possible camera in good light.
9 months ago

I've had quite a few cameras including SLRs and DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Konica-Minolta and Sony. The A77 is just the best overall camera I've ever owned or used.

The resolution is outstanding and the color and dynamic range are amazing for an APS-C camera. The AF system is fast, accurate, and tracks moving subjects well. It's very competitive with my Canon 1D4.

I absolutely love the EVF. It's a revelation in terms of getting the shot right the first time. It's so bright and clear that shifting to my 1D4 often has me thinking that my Canon is broken. It does have a bit of lag when shooting in continuous mode at a high frame rate. It's not a deal breaker but it takes some getting used to.

I also love focus peaking, multi frame noise reduction and sweep panorama. All this is amazing to me.

It's not a five star camera only because the it's just lousy at very high ISOs. It's stellar at ISO 100-800, acceptable at 1600 - 3200, useable for web shots at ISO 6400, and garbage above that.

I've had consistently good results using the Sony 56 and 58 flashes. Not everyone has duplicated my success but I can only judge based on my user experience.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
garykohs's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
acceptable
= community average
Canon EOS-1D Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow