Samyang 14mm f2.8/t3.1 : edge issues ?

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
PLAMBERT
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: Samyang 14mm f2.8/t3.1 : edge issues ?
In reply to joneil, 10 months ago

joneil wrote:

Overall I think Samyang lenses, any size, any mount, are some of the best value for the dollar out there. But they do have their limitations. Designing a lens under 20mm is very difficult, to get absolutely everything right, and you will have trade offs.

People ask me all the time why I spend the money on a Zeiss 18mm instead of something form Samyang in a similar range for about a quarter of the cost. the Zeiss 15mm is what - about 3 thousand dollars, and this Samyang lens is what - about 4 hundred dollars?

Seriously, what kind of performance did you expect from any brand of ultra-wide lens for $400? Now you know.

good luck

-- hide signature --

phil

I use a Leica M9 with a 12mm f5.6 Cosina Voigtlander (a film lens) This produces sharp pictures, strong corner vignetting and extreme edge cyan shading caused by the rear lens element being very close to the sensor. The results can be improved in Cornerfix, a free program. The same kind of results are produced by the Cosina Voigtlander 15mm and 21mm, viz sharp with edge problems. Using a 1980's Tokina 17mm on the Leica works well, no edge problems, results not quite as sharp as CV. This is an SLR lens with a long back focus to clear the moving mirror in the slr. If I get good results with the 20mm Nikkor I am buying (as expected) I would sell the 20mm Voigtlander. All these secondhand lenses are cheap. It would be nice to buy Leica ultrawide lenses but the prices!

PLL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow