Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
gulati
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon s120 vs. G15 vs. G16
In reply to Alex Riley, 9 months ago

Alex Riley wrote:

Andy (if I may)

At the start of this sequence you were debating whether to upgrade your G9 to an S120 or a G15. The G15 is universally liked and being discounted at present. But serious reservations were raised about the S120's IQ and the point was made that maybe Canon have tried to cut corners on the G16 in the way they may have done on the S120. You have bought a G16. I take it from your preliminary work that you are reassured about the G16's IQ?

Alex

Hi Alex, So far i like the image quality of the G16, but it will take many more shot to know. I had grown accustomed to the convenience of the SD700/SD850/S95 types of cameras, and learned to deal with the limitations. But for not much bigger, I think I will make some IQ gains with the G16 without gaining too much heft. I don't have a G15 to compare. I imagine those 2 cameras are essentially the same for IQ, but with G16 gains in video, AF speed and EPS. My comparison would be against memories of G9, which I thought was quite good, but could lag somewhat in operations. Have to admit, once I got the S95, the G9 sat on the shelf. Then again, there were enough gains in the S95 for that to make sense. I think there are enough gains with the G16 for the S95 to sit on the shelf (reserved for hazard duty), and that those gains will make the G16 heft worthwhile.

Andy

gulati's gear list:gulati's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow