Started Nov 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DimLS
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
OMD EM-1 Proximity sensor and sleep mode
Nov 25, 2013

There is another thread mentioning this but its title and body message is not crystal clear so i decided to open a new thread so that our common sense request can be easier audible from OLY. Sorry for duplicating an already mentioned problem, but i believe that with this post, the problem and the solution can be easier to identify by the end users and OLY.

I have sent it to OLY and i will wait to see if i get any reply:

"OMD EM-1 has a serious problem that can be fixed with firmware update:

When cam is set to toggle between EVF and LCD, OR is set to work with ELV only: the ELV or LCD are always on when you are in physical touch with the cam. The available options are useful only when you leave the cam alone or when you have it at a tripod. 99,5% of people's usage is to carry the cam, and in this way, the ELV and lcd is always on. So battery is drained without the user using the cam.

Optical viewfinders do not drain battery and are always turned on by default design, ELV MUST NOT be always on, so the user has to deactivate it on his willing.

It's a global and common sense request and you should already be aware of this.

Problem description

When you are at toggling between lcd and EVF via proximity sensor, OR when you are in EVF mode only, the camera

1. takes much time to sleep so it uses the battery

2. wakes up, so it never sleeps and it always uses battery, when you carry it with the strap, because proximity sensor detects the human body.

Problem in principle

Optical viewfinders do not drain battery and are always turned on by default design, ELV MUST not be always on, so the user has to deactivate it on his willing via button or via lower sleep time

Solutions

1. Olympus should give the user the option to set extra low sleep mode times so that proximity sensor sleeps, so that the cam doesn't wake up every second you hold it towards you body with the camera strap. Think about it, so simple and so dramatic impact in real use.

2. Or to give the option through a button to deactivate the proximity sensor. Additionally to extend the menu with options towards lower numbers that make the lcd/elv sleep,

3. OR to open the option for a button to set the cam in sleep mode, that wakes up with the shutter button half press.

Please give me feedback on the possible firmware fix"

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow