Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to tbcass, 10 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

False. Look at the dxomark scores. Their testing indicates that noise performance at high ISO is much better in the k50 compared to the A58. Over a half step better.

The biggest problem of the Sony dSLTs is horrid high ISO noise performance compared to the competition. (Though lower level Canons aren't any better).

Horrid is a bit of an overstatement and 1/2 stop difference isn't very much IMO. Personally I think high iso performance is a bit like high horsepower in cars. It's nice to have and can be useful but in the grand scheme of things it's an overrated quality. I would say the ergonomics, AF ability and features are far more important yet all everybody talks about is high iso, high iso, high iso..... Just my opinion of course.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

The difference between a top aps-c body and a full frame body comes down primarily to ISO. So in the case of Sony, there are shooters willing to pay 3-4x more, primarily for better high ISO.

The needs of each photographer is different. For many, there is never a reason to go much higher than ISO 800, so it's not a big factor. For others, the high ISO can give a major low light and higher shutter speed advantage.

But if high ISO wasn't important to quite a few shooters, there would be no market for full frame. In fact, many people step up even from p&s to APS-C due to better high ISO. ( regardless of whether they realize that's why they are stepping up)

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow