Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
artlmntl
Contributing MemberPosts: 781
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to tbcass, 5 months ago

tbcass wrote:

Horrid is a bit of an overstatement and 1/2 stop difference isn't very much IMO. Personally I think high iso performance is a bit like high horsepower in cars. It's nice to have and can be useful but in the grand scheme of things it's an overrated quality. I would say the ergonomics, AF ability and features are far more important yet all everybody talks about is high iso, high iso, high iso..... Just my opinion of course.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

Depends what you're doing and how you want your results to turn out. I'm probably going to write the big check for FF because no APS-C camera on the market can deliver what I want in terms of high iso, low light performance. I don't know that it's wise. I only know that it is the answer.

When I process FF RAW shots at iso 25,600 and they turn out looking better than what my camera can produce at iso 6400, I know it's time to upgrade. And even though the latest crop of APS-C cameras is doing much better at high iso, you just can't beat the benefit of 2.5x more sensor area coupled with current sensor DR and processors. And fortunately, camera bodies seem to be following the price trends of computers, not automobiles. The price for more performance actually decreases over time. I saw a refurb 6D body on B&H for $1400 today.

Also, I agree with what you're saying about the need for practice to master the skills.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow