Nikon A vs Sony RX100

Started Nov 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,715Gear list
Like?
Re: I tried to like the RX100.
In reply to Rexgig0, Nov 24, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

First, I agree with Ray Sachs' excellent response; very well-said.

Personally, I tried to like the RX100, but could not live with the handling qualities and controls. I handled an A, and it was a good fit. I might have wished for a focal length equivalent of 35mm to 40mm, but 28nm is acceptable, and allows for hand-holding at longer shutter speeds. I bought an A, and found it very good for my needs.

My wife claimed it for herself, however, which prompted me to consider less-expensive alternatives as I save for a second A. I handled a GR. I revisited the RX100, G1X, and considered a pre-owned Fuji X100. There is something special about the A, at least in my hands, and I do not want a zoom. The A remains at the top of my to-buy list. On rare occasions, I get to shoot with my wife's A, which confirms my original acquisition decision.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

28mm deforms a lot.  If the GR or the A had a 35mm I'd trip over myself in the rush to buy it.  Considering the spanking the GR gave the A, if Nikon changed it to 35mm they'd open a new world for the Coolpix.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow