Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,298Gear list
Like?
One old man's opinion :)
9 months ago

I originally wrote this as a response for Stany B's site, NikonUser.info.

Because of age (77) and severe arthritis I decided to abandon my Nikon system. It wasn't an easy decision. Lots of agony and soul searching. I finally settled on the Fuji X-Pro1 . . . and within weeks switched to the Fuji X-2E.

As I usually print 16" x 24" (A2) for my gallery work I had some concerns about resolution. I shouldn't have! After visiting tests on the X series I was amazed. The X series uses a different arrangement of RGB sites on its sensor which are designed to minimize moire and enhance resolution (it uses no AA filter). What is amazing is the resolution tests have resolution going PAST the infamous Nyquist limit! What - defy physics? Using the ISO 12233 chart you can clearly see the Fuji X camera and lens crossing right through the Nyquist! As this is breaking the laws of physics, what is really happening? Well, on the ISO 12233 chart, as well as nature, the Fuji sensor is creating false information! It is simply taking the information available and creating new information based on best guess on nearby pixels. This is sort of what we do when we resample with bicubic in Photoshop.

So, being the pragmatist that I am, I decided to run a simple resolution test or two against my Nikon D610. Yikes! It appears, using the ISO 12233 chart that the smaller Fuji 16mp sensor was out resolving my D610. OK, how about real world shots. Ah, now they are about equal. OK, equal is good! Actually, equal is excellent!!!

Next concern was dynamic range and color. Again, I only have simple methods of measuring this but I found that the DR of the Fuji X chip equal to the famous DR of the Nikon D610 and D800. Fuji just does it a different way. The DR is spread out much differently. While Nikon digs deep into the shadows, Fuji seems to favor the highlights. OK, if that bothers you simply adjust the exposure. Done.

The good news - for me - is that the X-E2 only weighs 3/4 of a pound or 310 grams. Throw on a super wide 14mm (21in 35 format) and you add another 1/2 pound 235 grams. LIGHT. Very light. Focusing with the 14mm is instant - the fastest in the industry if we are to believe Fuji.

So what's not to like? Well I needed a more substantial grip - Fuji makes one. Solved.

As the batteries are smaller and lighter, I bought 2 extra. Solved.

I think the new Fuji X-E2 will be a big hit with many photographers. Being a Nikon user (for the most part) it was a tough switch for me. However, I am SOOOOOO glad I made it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow