Are any of you

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347
Like?
Re: Are any of you
In reply to RaajS, 8 months ago

RaajS wrote:

Intrigued by the Nikon Df? Looks like it might be a great low-light street shooting machine, with the ability to leverage some of the older classic prime lenses.

Love to hear your thoughts.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

I was intrigued because:

1. As much as I enjoy my Leica with 21mm SEM, there are times I need a wide zoom that will get me quickly from under 20mm to 35mm, and I didn't feel like adapting such a lens to my M. With the Df, I would be all about reconnecting with a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8. Old faithful. Of course I would then feel the need to pick up a few primes for it as well, but nothing without an aperture ring.

2. As much as I do like the retro look, it is much more about preferring the analog controls to me. I like the way EC works on my MM, but not so much on my M's. It rarely matters because I shoot them in manual mode most of the time anyhow, but EC dials are my friend. ISO dial! Now we're cooking. I just like it, plain and simple. I hate menus and looking at screens.

BUT....

While I do like nice AF, it has been a while since I have owned a camera with it. That being said, I picked up an AF camera today and as the camera acquired focus, I felt myself thinking, "Am I supposed to trust you because you say so?"

Also, there was a disconnect that I felt and it made me want to go take some shots on one of my Leicas to cleans myself of the feeling.

Anyhow, AF is important and very useful, no doubt, but MF needs to be just as important, or at least it is for me. I am not sure how the Df supports MF, but if it works like any other modern DSLR, then no thank you. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but it seems like it may be.

If you know of other information though, please point me in the right direction.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow