Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thomas KP Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
A7r : Shutter Vibration affects image quality at certain speed
10 months ago

I received my A7r three days ago, I spent the 1st night getting familiar with the new features and to program the buttons, even though I have been using A99 and NEX-7, there are quite a bit of new stuffs that I need to trial and understand before I can decide how to set-up all the buttons. For example, the 4x digital zoom, I finally found that there is no gain on the image quality, it is just an interpolation in software to provide a larger pixel numbers for the cropped image, so I decided not to use it.

I then tested several of my MF lenses ( which is my main purpose to buy this camera, for all the old MF lenses), started with wide angle lenses to confirm the edge issues that there have been many reviews in the past weeks. When I witch to do mid to tele lenses and shoot with the Tamrn 350 f5.6 mirror ( which is probably the best image resolution mirror lens), I was shocked to have a burr image though when using the focus assist magnifcation (14.4 x is not large enough in case of this 36M pixel sensor), the image on the LCD is good. I then set-up a heavy duty tripod with fluid head to do  the test again, with 1 sec delay on shutte to make sure ( one missing feature on both NEX and A7 series are no cable release input, making the use of extra long tele lenses not convenient), tested with varios speed. I found the shutter vibratio will affect image quality from about 1/80 to 1/250, at higher speed, the burr will go away. So I switch to test the camera with FD 800 f5.6, it did not have similar problem, at least not noticeable. So it seems on a light weight tele lens the effect is more obvious. Today, I tried again by mount the QR plate to the camera body ( yesterday it was mounted with the lens tripod mount), I still can observe the similar problm, with less degree of burr, though it is still noticeable with 1:1 pixel level on the computer screen.

I think there is not much Sony can do about this, just that when shooting with tele lenses, even with tripod, user need to make sure the shooting speed are higher than normal to avoid getting burr image.

I will post some image later.

Thomas KP Lee's gear list:Thomas KP Lee's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Sony SLT-A99 Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow