Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the X-A1 the right camera for me?
In reply to bimbert84, 9 months ago

bimbert84 wrote:

bimbert84 wrote:

I just want to take clean pictures of my family in the house. I find it very hard to believe I need to spend $1000 to be able to do that. I'm really not interested in changing lenses at all -- I'm considering an ILC only because I saw one in particular (the X-A1) that seems to have incredibly low noise out-of-the-box.

-- hide signature --

Rob

I will not read the thread all over again now... I don't remember if flash was discussed... Are you willing to use flash or not, just available light. The flash on this camera can bounce, probably improving somewhat the quality of flash photos... but I don't have the camera, I can't say... In principle it's difficult to get good photos with the kit lens inside in low light... you could buy it and then use it for a while and put money aside for the 35mm... and you would sell the kit... You would end by having only the 35mm for inside shots, no changing lenses... just saying.

Hi Virgil,

My original goal was to avoid using flash. But one reason I want a hot shoe is so I can add a flash later if need be. I really like the idea of the manually tiltable flash on the X-A1, which I'm guessing would be great for adding some light without creating that harsh flash look I'm accustomed to seeing from most P&Ss.

To answer your question more succinctly, I'll use the flash and/or turn up the lights before I'll spend $600 on another lens.

But... my primary reason for choosing an ILC is to avoid having to do that. If I'm going to turn up the lights or use a flash, I can get by with a higher-end compact and not have to deal with external lenses at all. That's why I phrased my low-light requirement as I did: if I'm going to buy the X-A1, it has to give me flashless low-light capabilities that (something like) the XZ-2 will not.

So I don't need flashless in absolute terms, I just need it to sway my decision into buying the X-A1 over something else.

-- hide signature --

Rob

Buy the x-a1 for $499. Sell the kit lens for $200. Buy a $50 f1.8 50mm lens second hand and sell it after you saved some extra money. The. Buy the 35mm f1.4 for $450 on ebay. total will be $500 - $200 + $50 - $50 + $450 = $750. The x-a1 and 35mm f1.4 is a killer combination. It is worth it.

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow