How to get Back Button Focus Advantages on A58. ?

Started Nov 22, 2013 | Questions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: How to get Back Button Focus Advantages on A58. ?
In reply to Allan Olesen, Nov 23, 2013

Allan Olesen wrote:

yndesai wrote:

1. No more switching to Manual Mode (I need to switch to manual mode focus ring will not operate)

This is a hardware limitation of your lenses and camera.

With SSM and (some/all?) SAM2 lenses, you can turn the focus ring in AF mode.

With SAM lenses you cannot, and the camera cannot do anything about it since the AF clutch is a part of the lens.

With screw drive lenses, you can only turn the focus ring when the AF clutch in the camera body is released. On the a77, this clutch can release electrically, but on the a58 it is fully manual so there is no way to get the functionality you want.

I think it's possible by two different ways (if I'm understanding well)

• If you focusing, there after you turn the AF/MF button to MF, that freeze the focusing position, then you're able to cancel the back-focusing problem, but it's a painful doing this if the DOF change for each shot! But it's possible and well suited for some kind of studio shots.
  • To my side and for walk around photography, I prefer using my tumb to lock the focus point (AEL button turned/programmed to AF-Lock) until the decisive moment when pressing on the shutter button with the index, at the same time. It's also possible to cancel the back-focusing problem by this tips, imho.

Regards,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow