Prime Only Shooting

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,117
Like?
Re: false sense? Re: "I lost 10 pounds, shooting with a prime lens"
In reply to mh2000, 10 months ago

mh2000 wrote:

Photography as in all arts requires the artist to learn to focus on a subset of all possibilities.

No, it doesn't (if a person could understand what that gibberish sentence was even supposed to mean.)

Being able to shoot everything in every way is not the road to developing a distinctive and meaningful photographic art,

Being able to shoot everything at one focal length isn't the road either.

but I guess if your intent is to be a jack of all trades photographer so you can shooting any assignment you can scrounge, then you would *need* a zoom.

Good red herring, completely falls apart when you step back and realize that a zoom is capable of all the same enlightened composition as the prime.

When I shoot a single prime, I find that I am not moving around that much because I am just where I need to be when I raise my camera to shoot.

No, you're just where your lens needs you to be. That's fine if you need the camera to set the limits for you, same way using auto settings is fine. But don't kid yourself, you're choosing to give up creative options before you even start the game.

Since I'm already there, I put my efforts into attending to the smallest details of framing (on a tripod).

Oh you're one of those guys that's good enough to use a tripod? Well shucks, here I've been all this time talking to a bona-fide, genuine artist! Man, don't know how I could have been so wrong on all this!... Sarcasm.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow