Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
GM1 stabilization (or the lack of) concerns
8 months ago

I'm thinking of getting the GM1 as the "carry everywhere" camera, after I returned the RX100M2 earlier this year due to its less than stellar build and slow lens when zoomed in.

GM1 on paper seems like a camera that will solve my needs, with its excellent build, touch screen and better DOF control when used with primes that are fast and small, such as Olympus 12/2.0, 17/1.8 and 45/1.8.

But unfortunately due to lack of the IBIS, bumping up ISO for higher shutter speeds to get steady shots is necessary, which may exacerbate noise especially when shooting in darker environments.

Since I detest zooms, the new Leica 42.5/1.2 seems to be the only prime on the roadmap with Mega OIS that meets my needs. It's weird that the upcoming Lecia 15/1.7 doesn't seem to have it?!

What are your thoughts? Maybe GM1 is just not for my shooting style (mainly using primes, dark environments and relying on IBIS for slower shutter speeds to keep noise in check)?

Also, rumors point to Olympus releasing several new cameras soon. Will one of it become a "GM1 killer" that has similar form factor but is equipped with their legendary IBIS?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon Df
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow