Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,414
Like?
Re: Fotodiox x Novoflex x Voigtlander: M-mount adapter cagematch
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 8 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Metabones and a few other EF to NEX adapters come with built in tripod mounts as well. This is useful and it is not necessary to use it and small enough to not get in the way. The RJ glassless electonic adapter has an optional extra collar which allows portrait mode as well. It does not have detents or markings but I guees you can use in-camera levelling or make some discrete measured markings. Some other adapters can be bought with fixed tripod mounts, especially for the Pentax Q mount for obvious good reason. Fixed tripod mounts are best with bayonet mount lenses of course.

It is interesting in this debate that nothing has been said about Metabones or the Chinese focal reducer versions in respect of their infinity focus accuracy. Maybe I am too casual but I have not noticed any infinity focus problem (with any of them). This is doubly unusual as Canon make absolutely no bones whatsoever that their telephoto lenses at least all focus past infinity out of the factory - simply to allow for a possible heat factor. I admit to have not gone beyond the 200/2.0 so far but this rather large white lens surely is also focusing past infinity. Maybe it is because that with telephoto the actual use requires some specific focusing - even at longer distances. I have used this lens and noticed no problems with focus - both in AF (goes without saying) but also using MF - which is usually quicker wiith such a sharp lens.

Therefore the conndrum. The telephoto has smaller dof and seems less problematical and the wide lens with sometimes huge hyperfocal seems to be a big issue. If a wide cannot pick up infinity inside the hyperfocal distance then it is indeed a big problem

Or is it something that I am not understanding - can the extreme end of the hyperfocal be out of focus if the lens can focus past infinity? - beyond me. But if this is so then all those very expensive telephoto lenses that Canon builds deliberately to focus past infinity have a very real problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom, that is an interesting discovery... Could it be that the infinity setting is exacerbated by the crop factor ? I will try to check tomorrow with my Speed Booster.

Marc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow