ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SpamJavelin
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
I love my NEX but...
10 months ago

Hi all.

I really like the portability and great image quality from my NEX5n but the price premium for the smaller size is getting on my nerves. I have bought a few lenses on top of the 16mm pancake and 18-55 that came with it. I have 55-210 plus the Sigma 30 and a bunch of legacy primes. I'm now looking for something that can be used as a better IQ walk-around lens that's also suitable for video but that only leaves me with the new 18-105 (not available yet, massive and £500) or the £800 16-70mm Zeiss. Swapping lenses is fun but I really need something that sits on the body for 80% of the time.

I'm also not massively impressed by the AF speed and suspect that won't get much better, even if I upgrade to the NEX6. I hate to say it but after spending some time with DSLR Canon cameras at work, 550d and 7d, I'm left rather underwhelmed - both in terms of AF performance and lens price. The new 70d offers a lot for the money, especially when partnered with the 18-135 IS STM lens.

To get similar quality in an E-Mount I would need to move up to an A7 (taking my lens collection with me and cropping to 10MP) and the native EF lenses are massively expensive, especially if I ever want a big telephoto. Yes it will look amazing and offer a lot of portability (but not as much as the NEX) but that’s a bunch of cash to chuck at a relative inflexible camera range.

Looking at the sample images here there’s not a huge difference between the 70d and FF A7 but both are a big step-up from a NEX.

Have I missed something? Portability can always be addressed by the purchase of a P&S or even using my camera phone when out and about.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow