Adorama WARNING--Selling Them Used Equipment

Started Feb 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?
Re: Adorama WARNING--Selling Them Used Equipment
In reply to MoreorLess, 5 months ago

MoreorLess wrote:

In the UK whats happened in that MPB and from the sound of it Ffordes have actually been offering good prices for used gear(more like 75% of what they sell it for) and as a result they've quickly come to monopolise most of the business. It needs someone similar to enter the market in the US to force rivals to offer decent money, as it is there just looking to prey on people they think are desperate for money.

I've never had any dealings with MPB , but I have dealt a fair bit with Ffordes , SRS , Williamson & Wolfe and Quiggs in Glasgow . In times gone by , also with Jessops , back when they used to have a large inventory of second hand stuff and would transfer equipment between branches if you spotted something at the other end of the country .

In all cases the prices offered were very fair and I found deals easy to do , but then I had a reasonable idea of values and my expectations were not unrealisitic  . At one point I used to trawl the secondhand bric-a-brac type shops for photo and hi-fi equipment , which the shops often had no idea of the value of and would buy something , then walk round to a photo or hi-fi dealer and sell it on at a profit . One example I recall being an 'old camera' ( a Rolleiflex TLR ) which I bought in a general secondhand shop for £35 , then walked round to Edinburgh Cameras where I was given £95 for it ( by cheque ) ; mind you I saw it in their window the next week at £150

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow