Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?
X-Trans VS FF Bayer: Close?
9 months ago

So for anybody who hasn't read any threads i have posted in recently, i am looking into my next purchase, likely to be the new X-E2. I also love manual focus, pretty much for all shooting sans that which i must have AF for. This opens up a slew of aftermarket lenses, which led me to take a long look at speed boosters. So after many comparisons, visually and in my mind, here is my opinion.

The X-trans sensors, from what i have seen in studio comparisons and samples from you good people, kicks the socks off a bayer pattern version, if nothing else, in the noise department. The lack of AA also lends to very sharp images, other factors permitting. Now IMO, the camera is a tool, i can work with just about any tool and grab images. Our ancestors survived B&W, no AF, film, basically far less sophisticated systems than we have now. I think we should be able to make due with whatever we get our hands on. So, the main factor for me is IQ, but i do like the focus aids Fuji offers.

IQ: so i have been comparing here on DPR, and call me crazy but the X-trans sensors are darn near the FF offerings. Perhaps DR is not even, maybe diffraction is more an issue at small apertures. From a noise only standpoint (which is important for a lot of people), it seems close. DPR doesnt normalize every setting in the studio tests, understood, but it's still worth comparing. Below is a snap of this (much easier to see if you actually pull up the DPR tool), if we were to downsample the 5DIII shot, it would be about equal to the D4 in noise. Comparing that to the X100s and the standard apsc NEX6, we notice the NEX (representative of most apsc sensors) is where it should be, about a stop or so worse than the FF. The Fuji however is very close, a lot closer than i expected.

Which brings me to my next point. If we were to use a speed booster on the same FF lenses the FF cameras have, we are actually gaining on them are we not? If the X-E1/X100s/X-E2 are maybe 1/3 stop behind in noise performance, having lenses a stop faster actually puts them 2/3 ahead. I know this has it's caveats such as no AF, no auto diaphram ect. I am speaking strictly from a noise performance POV. What do you guys think? Is this something that persuaded some of you to join Fuji? Is it icing on the cake that you don't really take advantage of? Am i blind or delusional? Feel free to post your opinions, i'm thick skinned and optimistic.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D4 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow