Started Nov 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to havoc315, Nov 21, 2013

havoc315 wrote:

Obviously, I'm a Sony fan.

But I think this is very misleading. They are looking at the "best" introduced in 2013.. Not necessarily the best value that is currently on the market. And likely looking at the introductory MSRPs, not the actual selling price as of today.

For example, the Nikon D3200 (a 2012) camera now sells for the same price as the A58. Is the A58 a better camera and better value than the Nikon D3200?

The Nikon has:
Higher resolution sensor. (24 vs 20)

About 1/2 stop better noise performance.

Larger, higher resolution LCD.

Better overall IQ.

In terms of continuous shooting performance: At full resolution, the A58 can only shoot about 5fps, and only for about 6 RAW frames total. The Nikon D3200 can shoot 4fps, but for 12 RAW frames. I'd rather have a 3-second burst of 12 frames, than a 1.2 second burst of 6 frames.

The few advantages I can see in the A58: Better live view (as is always the case when comparing dSLT to dSLR), and the A58 has a tiltable LCD.

But if I was spending $500 on a new dSLR, I would be hard-pressed to say that the A58 is a better camera than the Nikon D3200.

• The LCD on the A58 is articulating, whereas the Nikon has a fixed LCD.  which allows you to frame low and high shots easier
  • The EVF on the A58 is OLED, its looks better than the low end OVFs 
  • The EVF gives you 100% coverage, 
  • The EVF allows you to see better in low light,
  • The EVF has a built in level, and mimics the actual photo. 
  • The A58 is also better for video,
  • The A58 has in body stabilization.
 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow