Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,220Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
In reply to havoc315, 9 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

Obviously, I'm a Sony fan.

But I think this is very misleading. They are looking at the "best" introduced in 2013.. Not necessarily the best value that is currently on the market. And likely looking at the introductory MSRPs, not the actual selling price as of today.

For example, the Nikon D3200 (a 2012) camera now sells for the same price as the A58. Is the A58 a better camera and better value than the Nikon D3200?

The Nikon has:
Higher resolution sensor. (24 vs 20)

That's like what, 500 pixels wider from like 5500 pixels wide. Not significant at all.

About 1/2 stop better noise performance.

When I'm doing comparisons using the online comparisons, I'm not seeing this. I'm looking side by side 3200 ISO raws and I'm not seeing less noise on the Nikon over the Sony.

Larger, higher resolution LCD.

Better overall IQ.

I have not seen any evidence to support that claim.

In terms of continuous shooting performance: At full resolution, the A58 can only shoot about 5fps, and only for about 6 RAW frames total. The Nikon D3200 can shoot 4fps, but for 12 RAW frames. I'd rather have a 3-second burst of 12 frames, than a 1.2 second burst of 6 frames.

I'll just stick with my A57. It burst nice and fast and long.

The few advantages I can see in the A58: Better live view (as is always the case when comparing dSLT to dSLR), and the A58 has a tiltable LCD.

Plus proper camcorder like auto focusing during video, making the Sony the no-brainer choice for the average family.

But if I was spending $500 on a new dSLR, I would be hard-pressed to say that the A58 is a better camera than the Nikon D3200.

Others say the Sony is the better choice.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow