Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JSN2013
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Urgent questions on Nikon DSLR
5 months ago

I have a question and would like your thoughts. I am a amateur photograph from the old film era and decided now to migrate to digital. Unfortunately my lens are old and therefore I will buy a new equipment.

I have a 5.000 budget and would like your  recommendation.

First choice would be a Nikon D800 + 24-70 f2.8. This case I may be a bit short on the telephoto end (for street photography and portraits) but I learned that while I dont buy other lenses, i still can use a cropped image 50%, what would make the 24-70 a 36-105.

Second choice would be buying a D600 + 2 lenses for the same price (24-120f4 and 70-200 f4). Learned that both are good lenses, even though not as stellar lens as the 24-70f2.8. This set would cost approximately the same as my first choice.

Third  choice is to go for a d7100 and invest in 3 lenses (and same some money). Problem here is that, as far as I am concerned, DX lenses are far below in quality than FX and I couldn't find out which ones to choose.

Last but not least, talking to a camera dealer, I learned that, for the price of the Nikon 24-70f2.8, I can buy from Sigma both the 24-70f2.8 AND the 70-200f2.8 . Question is: does Nikon Brand justify that price difference ?

Hope someone can help me.  Best regards, Jose

JSN2013's gear list:JSN2013's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow